Oxford conference on Motivational and Cognitive Control, 2nd-4th June

Laurence Hunt lhunt at FMRIB.OX.AC.UK
Wed Apr 7 12:03:43 CEST 2010

Please find below a message from Jerome Sallet concerning a conference to be held in Oxford immediately prior to HBM.

Best wishes,
Laurence Hunt

Dear colleague,

We would like to draw your attention to a symposium we are organizing on
the Neural Basis of Motivational and Cognitive Control.

The symposium "Motivational and Cognitive Control" is to be held in
Oxford (UK), in St John's College on the 2nd-4th June 2010 (just before
the Human Brain Mapping meeting in Barcelona). The goal of the meeting
is to bring together researchers from a wide range of research
backgrounds to facilitate communication between different subfields and
foster collaborations between these researchers.

The meeting will be characterized by a small-scale, informal setting.
200 participants will be present, representing a mixture of very
high-profile speakers, all of whom are pioneers in their respective
fields, and young up-and-coming researchers. Reflecting the wide range
of fields involved, we aim to bring together experimental psychologists,
neurologists, neuroanatomists, neurobiologists, and computational
neuroscientists, who will focus both on their latest research results as
well as on their research techniques. Previous meetings have proven that
this formula of integration fosters exciting interdisciplinary ideas and
new collaborations.

Day one of the conference will survey the broader research context,
focusing on topics with are very relevant to the discussion but that are
traditionally neglected in meetings on brain function, such as zoology,
economics, neuroanatomy and developmental science. The afternoon will
draw in research on humans. Day two of the conference will discuss on
cutting-edge research on motivational and cognitive control in humans
and animals. The morning will focus on research in animals with a
specific emphasis on the role dopamine function in decision making. The
afternoon session will dove-tail with this, by discussing research on
healthy humans and patient populations. Day three will consider the
computational approaches to understanding neural processes related to
motivational and cognitive control.

Each day will feature a number of talks by senior researchers, a poster
session to allow younger researchers (M.Sc. students, Ph.D. students,
Post-docs) to present their work, and discussion time for all
participants. Day one will be followed by a reception; day two will be
followed by a conference dinner for all participants.

More information as well as registration information can be found at
http://www.rbmars.dds.nl/MFC2010/index.htm

We hope we'll see you at what we are sure will be an exciting meeting.

Sincerely,

Rogier Mars, Jerome Sallet, Matthew Rushworth, Nick Yeung

Jerome SALLET

Decision and Action Laboratory

Department of Experimental Psychology,
University of Oxford

South Parks Road, OX1 3UD,UK

Tel (office): (0044) 1865 271 315
Tel (elsewhere) : (0044) 7 530 060 839

http://psyweb.psy.ox.ac.uk/rushworth/default.htm

Motivational and Cognitive Control Conference, 2nd-4th June 2010, Oxford
http://www.rbmars.dds.nl/MFC2010/index.htm