how to plot the direction and amplitude of the planar gradient

Jim Li megjim1 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 2 06:07:18 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I want to view the direction and amplitude of the planar gradient  near each
sensor location and create a plot like what's shown in the  attached file (more
or less).  Is it possible to do it? If so, how?

Our MEG sensors are 248 axial gradiometers. After running "megplanar" I got
A1_dH...A248_dH,A1_dV...A248_dV for my channels. If, say, in the plane
tangential to a given channel we have the Horizontal (x axis) and Vertical (y
axis) directions. Then for the channel of interest, say A1,  I can run sqrt
(A1_dH^2+A1_dV^2) to get the amplitude of the planar gradient, and I can
run atan2(A1_dV,A1_dH)*180/pi) to get the angle between the field vector
and x-axis. What I'm not sure  about is how fieldtrip defines the Horizontal (x
axis) and Vertical (y axis) for each channel (in a plane tangential to that
channel). So it's hard to create the plot I want...

Thanks a lot.

Jim