Question about permutation testing of an interaction in a two by two design

Eric Maris e.maris at DONDERS.RU.NL
Thu Nov 19 22:06:04 CET 2009

Dear Matthew,

I agree with your proposal for an interaction test in a within-sessions
design. (I have called this a within-units-of-observation design in the
Maris & Oostenveld paper.)

I know of no permutation test for an interaction effect in a
between-units-of-observation design. The reason is that I do not see how
such a test can be rephrased as a test of the exchangeability null
hypothesis.

This is a recurrent question on this discussion list. You may be good to
browse through the archive of the discussion list.

Best,

Eric

dr. Eric Maris
Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behavior
Center for Cognition and F.C. Donders Center for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Radboud University
P.O. Box 9104
6500 HE Nijmegen
The Netherlands