BDF file problems

Joseph Brooks joseph.brooks at UCL.AC.UK
Fri Nov 13 22:21:57 CET 2009

I'm new to Fieldtrip. I am working with Biosemi data (BDF file format).
I've come across a problem when defining trials. I've come up with a
work-around but I'm interested in whether others have encountered this
problem and I want to alert the fieldtrip developers of this potential
problem. I've tried it on several BDF files. Here is an example of my
input and the error...

cfgSSVEP                         = [];
cfgSSVEP.dataset                 = [pathname,filename];
cfgSSVEP.trialdef.eventtype      = 'STATUS';
cfgSSVEP.trialdef.eventvalue     = {'21' '22'};
cfgSSVEP.trialdef.prestim        = 1;
cfgSSVEP.trialdef.poststim       = 16;

cfgSSVEP.dataset      = [pathname,filename];
cfgSSVEP              = definetrial(cfgSSVEP);
cfgSSVEP.padding      = 0;
cfgSSVEP.continuous   = 'yes';
evaluating trialfunction 'trialfun_general'
Warning: Out of range value or NaN computed in integer arithmetic.
 > In read_event at 281
  In trialfun_general at 50
  In definetrial at 139
??? Error using ==> cellstr at 34
Input must be a string.

Error in ==> cell.intersect at 44
    a = cellstr(a);

Error in ==> trialfun_general at 104
  elseif ~isempty(intersect(event(i).value, cfg.trialdef.eventvalue))

Error in ==> definetrial at 139
    [trl, event] = feval(cfg.trialfun, cfg);

I've managed to "fix" the problem by changing line 104 in
trialfun_general to:

elseif ~isempty(intersect(num2str(event(i).value), cfg.trialdef.eventvalue))

Any feedback will be much appreciated...