Question about permutation testing of an interaction in a two by two design

Matthew Nelson nelsonmj at CALTECH.EDU
Fri Nov 20 17:19:48 CET 2009

Thanks very much for your response. I will browse through the archive here
to see if I can find anything.

One source I found elsewhere on the web can be found in this book on page
126-127:

http://www.amazon.com/reader/038720279X?_encoding=UTF8&query=126#reader_038720279X

If I'm understanding his description properly, this can be tested simply by
using the ANOVA sum of squares test statistic for an interaction while
permuting amongst all the conditions. I would suppose that an interaction
contrast could be tested similarly using the sum of squares for the contrast
as the test statistic while permuting amongst the combinations of conditions
that factor into the particular contrast.

But if you don't think that that permutation would provide the proper null
hypothesis for either test (the omnibus interaction or an interaction
contrast), I'd be curious to know.

Thanks again very much,

Matthew