preparing leadfield for Phantom

Vladimir Litvak v.litvak at ION.UCL.AC.UK
Fri May 8 07:37:20 CEST 2009

Dear Jim,

The example scripts:

http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/make_leadfields_using_different_headmodels

and

http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/shift_electrode_positions_into_the_same_coordinate_system_as_the_corresponding_mri_for_using_individual_headmodels

contain some ideas that you can use to do what you want. However, the
trickiest part is coregistration. In the CTF system this problem is
solved by the CTF software. Also for an expert it is easy to do with
just a few lines of code. This is why there is no easy-to-use generic
solution for it in Fieldtrip as far as I know.

I would recommend you looking at SPM8
(http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/software/spm8/) which is another
free Matlab toolbox. In SPM8 you can go through all the steps for
leadfield computation using GUI (see the manual, imaging source
reconstruction chapter). It support BTi data and is tightly integrated
with Fieldtrip so you can later get the coregistered vol and grad from
SPM and use them in your Fieldtrip script. See:

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0905&L=SPM&P=R8906

Also SPM saves leadfields for its 'canonical cortical mesh' in a
mat-file and you can just use those.

Best,

Vladimir