independsamplesZcoh

jan-mathijs schoffelen j.schoffelen at PSY.GLA.AC.UK
Sun May 3 21:33:43 CEST 2009

Dear Jamie,

For me it is not exactly clear what you want to do. In an earlier
message you referred to our paper using a permutation test to test
for a significant difference in coherence between conditions (Maris
et al 2007). Essentially, as described, this is a test which is
performed within each subject allowing you to do statistical
inference about the potential difference between two conditions. As
such this is the type of test indepsamplesZcoh can perform, if
properly used (see below). Yet, you describe using two subjects as an
input. This to me sounds rather that you would like to do statistics
across subjects (although 2 subjects of course is a rather low
number). This is NOT something indepsamplesZcoh can do  for you. In
general it is possible to test for a significant difference between
two conditions across a population of subjects, but this would
require a different approach. Rather than shuffling single
observations across conditions PRIOR TO COMPUTING THE COHERENCE
DIFFERENCE (sorry about the capitals but this is essential for what
is to follow below), one would swap the sign of the Z-transformed
coherence difference for a random subset of subjects prior to averaging.
It seems as if you computed coherence spectra between all unique
pairs of channels (4x5)/2 and used this as an input to
freqstatistics. Yet, for single subject statistics this does not make
sense, because indepsamplesZcoh expects fourier-spectra in the input.
Within the function Z-transformed coherence difference will be
computed between all pairs of input channels (in your case this would
be (9x10)/2 (even though the function does not know you provide it
with the wrong input), and multiplying this number with 52 would give
your 'magical' 2340).
So, indeed you should either format your data in a different way
using single subject fourier spectra in two conditions as an input to
freqstatistics, or using a different statistical test to test for
differences across subjects.

Yours,

Jan-Mathijs