Source localization with minimum norm

Mon Mar 16 22:19:15 CET 2009

Hi Gatien,

On 9 Mar 2009, at 18:12, Gatien Hocepied wrote:
> I ‘m facing serious problems with this function… How can I define
> the dip.inside and dip.outside ?

If you access the functino through the fieldtrip sourceanalysis
function (and not directly as low-level function), the
prepare_dipole_grid function will set up the 3D grid with all dipoles
and for each dipole determine whether it is insode or outside the
brain (based on the volume conduction model). The function that is
notmally called to determine the inside/outide aspect of each
gridpoiunt is the inside_vol function (see forwinv/private). If you
know that all dipoles are inside the brain, then you can specify the
dip.inside vector as a boolean NdipolesX1 vector with all elements
being true. Grid positions taht are outside the brain (and that
therefore should not be included in the inverse estimate) should be
marked as false. To understand this, please consider a 3D box-like
grid encompassing the complete brain. The corners of the box will
always be outside the brain, so using a 3D box-like grid means that
~30% of the considered grid points is outside the brain and should not
be scanned (in case of a beamformer method) or included in the
distributed model (in your case).

>  Besides, for 2 dipoles, this line seems to be incorrect :
>
> dip.leadfield{i} = compute_leadfield(dip.pos(i,:), grad, vol,
> 'reducerank', reducerank,'normalize', normalize, 'normalizeparam',
> normalizeparam) * dip.mom(:,i);

dip.pos should be a Ndipoles*3 matrix, causing the leadfield to become
Nchans*3. That is then (optionally) multiplied with the 3*1 fixed
dipole orientation (e.g. constrained by the orientation of the
cortical sheet). The concatenation of the leadfields to
NchansX(3*Ndipoles) or NchansXNdipoles (in case of fixed orientation)
is done from line 109 onwards.

best regards,
Robert