Freqstatistics actvsblT vs. depsamplesT

Ingmar Schneider Ingmar.Schneider at BIO.UNI-GIESSEN.DE
Tue Jun 23 12:35:45 CEST 2009

Dear fieldtrip community,

I am currently working on an activation vs. baseline comparison script
(attached below) using the 'freqstatistics' function provided by
fieldtrip. According to the instructions given in the fieldtrip
tutorial, I used the 'actvsblT'-statfun for the comparison of 2s long
data segments over a frequency range from 6Hz to 100Hz. However, this
turned out to be almost impossible due to huge RAM requirements and
frequently led to an 'Out of memory-error' even on a machine with 32GB
of RAM.
In order to make it work, I had to narrow the frequency range and
number of randomizations. When I used the 'depsamplesT'-statfun for
the comparison instead of 'actvsblT', a comparison across the whole
frequency-range was possible requiring much less RAM (~2GB). The
resulting statistics, however, slightly varied from those obtained
using the 'actvsblT'-statfun (Topoplots attached); the localisation
seems to be the same, but the t-values are a little lower.

As far as I could find out using the documentation both statfuns
calculate dependent samples T-statistics. Is there an essential
difference between them causing the differences in the statistics?

With best regards,
Ingmar

% Preparation of the statistical design
nsubjects   = size(TFact, 2);
statdesign  = zeros(2,2*nsubjects);
statdesign(1,1:nsubjects)               = 1;
statdesign(1,nsubjects+1:2*nsubjects)   = 2;
statdesign(2,1:nsubjects)               = [1:nsubjects];
statdesign(2,nsubjects+1:2*nsubjects)   = [1:nsubjects];

% Realigning time
TFblavg.time   = TFactavg.time;

% Freqstatistics
cfg = [];
cfg.frequency   = [9 11];
cfg.channel     = {'MEG', '-MLP12', '-MRC14', '-MLT41', '-MRC25',
'-MRP56', '-MRT21', '-MLO21'};
cfg.latency     = [0.5 2.5];
cfg.parameter   = 'powspctrm';
cfg.method      = 'montecarlo';
cfg.statistic   = 'depsamplesT' / 'actvsblT' % respectively
cfg.correctm    = 'fdr';
cfg.alpha       = 0.05;
cfg.numrandomization    = 1500;
cfg.grad        = grad;
cfg.design      = statdesign;
cfg.uvar        = 2;
cfg.ivar        = 1;
freqstatACTvsBL = freqstatistics(cfg, TFactavg, TFblavg);

--
Ingmar Schneider

Max-Planck-Institut für Hirnforschung
Deutschordenstraße 46