beamformer source localization for EEG

Wed Jul 29 11:17:29 CEST 2009

Dear Hung

The differences between source reconstruction methods, or inverse
methods, are in the assumptions that they make on the sources. Some
make assumptions on the number of sources (dipole fitting),
distribution of activity (minimum norm linear estimation) and some
make assumptions on the correlatedness of the timecourses of the
sources (beamforming or music). A difference is also in wether and how
the noise in the data is incorporated in the estimate of the source
acitivity (ignored in plain old dipole fitting, explicitely suppressed
in beamforming).

The method that works the best is the method whose assumptions on the
data (true sources and noise) best corresponds to the data that you
have acquired.

best regards,
Robert