beamformer source localization for EEG

Jess R. Kerlin jrkerlin at UCDAVIS.EDU
Thu Jul 16 19:57:58 CEST 2009

Hi FTers,

I'm using a 128 electrode Biosemi EEG system, attempting to perform
beam-former source analysis. I had go all the way back to Matlab 6.5 and
SPM 2, as well as some trial and error to get through it,  but I finally
managed to get a nolte BEM  using mostly the same code as in the example
script "BEM head model for EEG" script". However, prepare_leadfield
throws the error "unsupported volume conductor model for EEG", which is
clearly the case looking at the prepare_leadfield code.

A few questions on this topic:

Does fieldtrip actually support beamforming source localization on BEM
models for EEG? Or, given the coarser spatial resolution of EEG, is it
better to use a simpler spherical model?  Either way, does anyone have
successful sample code for beamformer localization EEG data, start to
finish?

And for the developers:
I love your work.
I notice the move from SPM 2 to SPM 8 is in the development cue.  Is
there any release coming soon which will use SPM 8 to make this process
smoother?

Many thanks,

Jess Kerlin