AW: [FIELDTRIP] Neuromag-fif-mri from mne to fieldtrip.

Wed Jul 8 10:09:08 CEST 2009

Hi Hanneke,

I have tried importing another MRI fif file which I still had on disk
using the following modification of the fieldtrip/fileio/read_mri.m code

   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%
elseif filetype(filename, 'neuromag_fif') && hastoolbox('mne')
   % use the mne functions to read the Neuromag MRI
   hdr = fiff_read_mri(filename);
   img = cat(3, hdr.slices.data);
   hdr.slices = rmfield(hdr.slices, 'data'); % remove the image data
to save memory
   transform = hdr.trans.trans;

and then slightly further down in the code

% set up the axes of the volume in voxel coordinates
nx = size(img,1);
ny = size(img,2);
nz = size(img,3);
mri.dim = [nx ny nz];
% store the anatomical data
mri.anatomy = img;
% store the header with all fileformat specific details
mri.hdr = hdr;
try
   % if present, store the homogenous transformation matrix
   mri.transform = transform;
end

This results in a warning of the MNE fiff_read_mri function

 >> mri = read_mri('lp_mri_headcoords.fif')
	Reading slice information and pixel data..50..100..126..[done]
	The slices are not equally spaced. Voxel transformation will not be
included

mri =
           dim: [256 256 126]
       anatomy: [256x256x126 int16]
           hdr: [1x1 struct]
     transform: [4x4 double]

and the resulting coordinate transformation matrix is not fully
correct. You can check the coordinates by plotting it intreactively in
sourceplot (after converting the image data from int16 into double).

Perhaps one of the Neuromag experts on the list can help you further.

best regards,
Robert

PS atatched is the latest read_mri function, which includes the call
to fiff_read_mri.