AW: [FIELDTRIP] AW: [FIELDTRIP] MNI volumenormalise sourceinterpolation coordinates.

Hanneke Van Dijk Hanneke.vanDijk at MED.UNI-DUESSELDORF.DE
Fri Jul 17 08:50:31 CEST 2009

Dear Jan-Matijs,

It worked!!! Thanks so much! We should think of a way to fix the differences between handeling CTF and NM data. I will have a look at it!

Yours,

Hanneke

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: FieldTrip discussion list im Auftrag von jan-mathijs schoffelen
Gesendet: Do 16.07.2009 17:04
An: FIELDTRIP at NIC.SURFNET.NL
Betreff: Re: [FIELDTRIP] AW: [FIELDTRIP] MNI volumenormalise sourceinterpolation coordinates.

Hi Hanneke,

source.pos should contain the MNI-based coordinates before calling
sourceinterpolate; I suspect that your single subject source data
contains the original (neuromag-space) positions. This is of course
how it should be for the sourceanalysis, because there the grid
points have to be defined in neuromag space. Yet, for the
interpolation this is wrong, because sourceinterpolate assumes that
the coordinate frames of both mri and functional volume are the same.
Because the neuromag coordinates are shifted with respect to the MNI-
coordinates, this still could explain the discrepancy. I suggest to
replace sd.pos with template_grid.pos before calling sourceinterpolate.

On Jul 16, 2009, at 3:21 PM, Hanneke Van Dijk wrote:

> Hi Jan-Mathijs,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions and your time, but I haven't been able
> to fix it....
>
> I agree that this work-around shouldn't be neccesary but I guess we
> first have to know what to fix....
>
> You suggested to use the template_mri in MNI coordinates to
> interpolate to that seemed simple so I tried it immediately,
> however it didn't help. It didn't change a thing.
>
> So your other suggestion about the origin being different should be
> looked at, but this raised a few questions..
> First, I thought because I had realigned the mri to ctf coordinates
> using volumerealign, the NM coordinates wouldn't matter anymore.
> Second, the headmodel I have created using the realigned, segmented
> and flipped mri looks very good to me relative to the gradiometer
> locations and the grid as well.
> (see http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/
> read_neuromag_mri_and_create_single-
> subject_grids_in_individual_head_space_that_are_all_aligned_in_mni_spa
> ce). Additionally, the alpha source that I found using this
> headmodel and looking at the grid only (without the interpolation)
> looked believable as well.
>
> I have also segmentated the volumenormalised mri, which actually
> makes the later produced single_shell headmodel go downward and
> posterior as well. While the grid stays the same and
> 'goodlooking' ;-).
> So I am inclined to think that something strange is happening
> during the volumenormalise or sourceinterpolation procedure moving
> the mri slightly downward and more posterior. I would fix it myself
> but I don't know where I should look... it also puzzles me why this
> only happens 'for from NM- to ctf coordinates realigned' mri's. It
> seems that fieldtrip remembers that the mri was originally a NM...
>
> Hope you or someone else can help me further...
>
> Groetjes Hanneke

>>> cfg.frequency      = 10;
>>> cfg.vol            = hdm;
>>> cfg.grad           = f.grad;
>>> cfg.projectnoise   = 'yes';
>>> cfg.lambda         = 5e-28;
>>> cfg.method         = 'dics';
>>> cfg.feedback       = 'textbar';
>>>
>>> source = sourceanalysis(cfg,f);
>>>
>>> then:
>>>
>>> sd = sourcedescriptives([],source);
>>>
>>> then:
>>>
>>> load norm %normalized to MNI brain of single subject
>>> sdint = sourceinterpolate([], sd , norm);
>>> clear norm
>>> %plotting the results
>>> cfg.funparameter = 'avg.nai';
>>> cfg.anaparameter = 'anatomy';
>>> cfg.funcolormap  = 'jet';
>>> cfg.method       = 'ortho';
>>> cfg.projmethod   = 'nearest';
>>> cfg.sphereradius = 20;
>>> cfg.surffile     = 'surface_l4_both';
>>> figure;