problems with wiki -> empty pages

Tue Jan 27 17:54:48 CET 2009

Dear all

We are experiencing technical problems with the fieldtrip wiki. I had
hoped that installing a new version of the software would fix it as I
explained in a previous mail, and on Sunday that indeed seemed to
solve it. But today the problems reappeared, even in more severe form.
After trying to diagnose it and discussing it with some technical
colleagues here and with some input from the ruhosting server system
administrator (who is not part of our department), the working
diagnosis is that there is a performance problem on the server
hardware. The ruhosting machine is shared by many people, and it seems
that high traffic in general (not the case on Sunday) combined with
fieldtrip wiki edits (which happened a lot today) causes the hickups.
These then result in empty pages in the cache and empty pages being
displayed.

Note that all the documents are still there. A workaround for the
problem is to click the "edit" button and then click the "preview"
button. That circumvents the caching, and for me results in a correect
display of the page content.

At the moment I cannot solve it, but tomorrow I'll again start bugging
the sysadmin. I'll try to clear the cache as often as possible
(because immediately after that, it looks OK).

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Robert