Q about integration with SPM8

John Iversen iversen at NSI.EDU
Tue Jan 13 00:04:33 CET 2009

Sorry, my reply just crossed with yours. Ok, I'm now a bit confused as
to the specifics of the co-evolution of the two projects. It sounds
like the FT in SPM is a custom fit good at a particular moment in
time, but that separate changes in either SPM or FT could bring some
conflicts. That seems like a good argument to use the SPM version of FT.

To clarify my perspective, what I didn't note in my original email,
and I should have, is that the 'headache' I referred to is mainly due
to the fact that I've made some modifications of my own on FT, and
wasn't keen to need to fold them into two separate versions of FT that
might be updated at different times. Granted that's a self-inflicted
headache and perhaps at this point I should reconsider whether those
modifications are in fact necessary. More generally, though, I like to
tweak and be familiar with every detail of the code I'm using, so
having two different versions is just that much more for my finite
brain to keep track of.

Of course, more generally the number one issue would be to avoid a
situation in which two versions yielded different analysis results,
but that doesn't seem to be a concern that either of you have
expressed, so perhaps that is not something to worry about.

So, now I'm considering just using the version of FT included in SPM
for all my uses. I don't take advantage of the daily upgrades to FT,
so the slower release schedule is fine. How does that sound?

Thanks,

John