reading ANT cnt files

Wed Feb 25 14:08:18 CET 2009

Hi Nathan,

On 24 Feb 2009, at 15:20, Nathan Weisz wrote:
> i'm trying to read some ANT cnt files. however i get following error:
> ??? Error using ==> read_eep_cnt at 26
> could not locate mex file
>
> looking at that m-file, it consists only of the error message.

That is the usual mechanism to detect that the mex file is missing. By
default Matlab will execute the mex file (if available) and will only
fall back to the m-file if the mex file is missing.

> in fieldtrip/fileio/private i can see some c-file called
> read_eep_cnt.c. do i need to compile them?

Yes. And the source code for the mex file requires an additional
library, which was released as open source software by the
manufacturer. A copy of the open source ANT source code is available
from ftp://ftp.fcdonders.nl/pub/fieldtrip/external

I am planning to move the ANT/EEProbe mex files and associated source
code to a seperate directory under fieldtrip/external/eeprobe to make
more clear that it is not a fully integral part of the regular
fieldtrip release

> is this issue in some kind related to an older inquiry (in it, it
> says the issue could only be solved with ANT support)?
> https://listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/wa.cgi?A2=ind0608&L=FIELDTRIP&P=R4227

contrary to the previous mail you are referring to, the ANT source
code is now available. So you might be able to fix it without help
from ANT.

> i am working on a Intel-Mac using Matlab R2008a.

The ANT source code is platform aware and I know that it can be
compiled on a variety of operating systems and hardware (SGI, i386,
dos, windows, linux, irix). However, you probably have to make some
modifications to the Makefile.

best regards,
Robert