DICS, complex filter coeffcients and V irtual Electrodes

Michael Wibral wibral at BIC.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Mon Feb 23 14:40:20 CET 2009

Dear Jan-Mathijs, dear Vladimir,

thanks for your quick replies. I indeed overlooked the cfg.realfilter option. Things seem to work fine now.

I also have some comments on the optimization of DICS for a certain frequency: I think that's just the same in LCMV/SAM, where you also specify the band and time you're looking at and where you shouldn't project unfiltered raw data that contain other bands than the ones used for the computation of the filters. In my opinion you choose the frequency limits explicitly (via preprocessing) in LCMV and implicitly (via the spectral smoothing in the computation of the CSD matrix and the subsequent choice of a centre frequency for beamforming) in DICS. This, of course, also means that you should not compute narrow band beamformer filters (say for higher gamma frequencies) and project unfiltered (broadband) data through your filter. What I wanted to do was to compute narrow band sources (tpsmofrq = 5 or 10, center ferquency of 80Hz), prefilter the rawdata in the appropriate range and then project and interpret them. Should be ok, shouldn't it?

Michael