A newbie's question on Fourier using freqanalysis_mtmfft

Justin Ales justin.ales at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 17 17:15:49 CET 2009

In my experience with steady-state visual evoked potentials using
time-frequency analysis with just power works poorly. This is because
it doesn't average out phase incoherent noise sources, and the
steady-state response is a driven coherent signal.

We usually cut our data into 2 second long "trials", to get .5 Hz
resolution, and then coherently average(phase locked) fourier
components over these epochs.

Bach & Meigen have written a good primer on analysis choices, such as
windowing and zeropadding, for steady-state potentials:
http://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/augenklinik/live/homede/mit/bach/ops/fourier_en.html

Justin Ales
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute