source localization of frequency bands

Gustavo Sudre gsudre at POBOX.COM
Tue Dec 1 17:24:48 CET 2009

Hello,

I have a generic question about source localization. From what I've
seen so far, when the goal is to localize the activity in certain
frequency bands, it's common to use methods such as DICS or the
variant of MCE for frequency bands. I was wondering if it is also
correct to do source localization using a different method (e.g. MNE)
with the whole signal (i.e. prior to band-pass filtering to specific
bands) and then convert the signal in the localized sources to
frequency domain. Another alternative would be to band-pass the signal
to a certain frequency band in source space, and then run a different
source localization method on it (e.g. MNE).

Could anyone elaborate on the advantages / disadvantages ( / validity)
of these two methods?

Thank you,

Gus