plots and stats with biosemi128.lay

Wed Apr 8 15:20:25 CEST 2009

Dear Katya

If I do
 >> cfg.layout = 'biosemi128.lay'
 >> layoutplot(cfg)

then I get attached figure (which you should be able to reproduce).
Looking carefully it seems that D39 is lying on top of another channel.

If I then do
d = dist(lay.pos')
imagesc(d==0)

then I see that there are multiple off-diagonal elements in the
distance matrix (i.e. a 128x128 matrix containing the distance bwteen
all pairs) that are zero.  So there are multiple channels overlapping.
I don't know why that is and at the moment I don't know where the
biosemi layouts were coming from. The only information that I have
from the log is
   revision 1.1
   date: 2005/06/15 08:21:08;  author: roboos;  state: Exp;
   new layout files, based on excel sheet from biosemi

I don't know the details of this excel sheet any more, but probably
the excel sheet was already wrong.

But to come to your prime question: does it affect clustering? Yes it
will. You are using the layout to define neighbours. If the layout is
flawed, the neighbour definition might also be flawed. Please use the
neighbourselection function to make a neighbour definition explicitely
and check the neighbours by looking at the output of the
neighbourselection function.

best regards,
Robert

PS it would be nice if you could provide a better layout for the
biosemi128 cap