within subjects partitioning

Eric Maris e.maris at DONDERS.RU.NL
Tue Oct 14 21:21:08 CEST 2008

Hi Josh,

>   I'm using timelockstatistics to perform a within subjects cluster based
non-
> parametric test.  I have two conditions and ten subjects.  The data from
each
> subject consists of a spatial array of 160 electrodes at one time point.
>   My question is how are the data randomly partitioned. Are all samples
across
> subjects and conditions put into one group and 20 random drawings (10
> subjects, 2 conditions) of 160 electrodes performed?  Or is data within
each
> subject preserved so that there are 10 groups of 320 electrodes from each
of
> which two partitions are made?

In a within-subjects design with two conditions, the permutation is
performed as follows: the two spatio-spectral-temporal (possibly with empty
spectral and temporal dimensions) data matrices (one for every condition)
per subject are randomly permuted WITHIN every subject. This is also
described in Maris & Oostenveld (JNM, 2007).

Good luck,

Eric Maris

>   Thanks so much,
>   Josh

> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users of the
FieldTrip