Preproc - thresholding negative z-scores too?

jan-mathijs schoffelen j.schoffelen at PSY.GLA.AC.UK
Tue Oct 28 10:47:06 CET 2008

Dear Alex,

As far as I remember, the default settings for artifact_eog (the
'higher' level function which calls artifact_zvalue later on) contain
the (absolute of the) hilbert transform.
The hilbert-transform of a bandpass filtered signal is an estimate of
the instantaneous amplitude. Since it is an absolute value, it is
always positive and should reverse
the polarity of the EOG, as would rectification.
I do not really understand your statement that the polarity is not
changed by either rectification of hilbert transformation. Could it
be that you specified your options in
cfg.artfctdef.eog, and then called artifact_zvalue? or
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue and called artifact_eog?

I guess specifying cfg.artfctdef.XXX. rectify/hilbert = 'yes', and
subsequently calling artifact_XXX (eog or zvalue) should do the
trick. Of course, specifying cfg.artfctdef.XXX.feedback = 'yes',
gives you an idea how the data look.

Good luck

Jan-Mathijs