cross-spectral density matrix is rank deficient!

jan-mathijs schoffelen j.schoffelen at PSY.GLA.AC.UK
Thu May 15 20:47:52 CEST 2008

Hi Muthuraman,

You are warned for the rank-deficiency of the csd-matrix, because this
could lead to numerical instabilities when inverting this matrix.
However, since fieldtrip uses pinv instead of inv, this does not lead
to crashing scripts.
On the other hand, the message basically is the consequence of the fact that:

-you used too few trials to simulate the csd (the total number of
tapers applied should ideally be > the number of channels),
-you did not add enough sensor noise to your simulation. because you
typically want to simulate fewer sources than sensors (which by
definition makes the true source csd-matrix rank deficient) you really
have to add sensor noise,
-or both.

Good luck

Jan-Mathijs

Quoting Muthuraman Muthuraman <muthuraman10 at HOTMAIL.COM>:

> Hello Fieldtrippers,
>
> I get the warning "cross-spectral density matrix is rank deficient"
> when running the sourceanalysis_DICS on simulated data.
> Any hints due to which the warning comes will be very helpfull,
> because the channel combination was selected for ''all" in the
> frequency analysis.
>

> Thanking you
>
> With regards,
> M.Muthuraman.

> Catch the latest fashion shows, get beauty tips and learn more on
> fashion and lifestyle.
> http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-in
> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users
> of the FieldTrip  toolbox, to share experiences and to discuss new
> ideas for MEG and EEG analysis. See also
> http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/fieldtrip.html and
> http://www.ru.nl/fcdonders/fieldtrip.

The University of Glasgow, Department of Psychology WebMail system