ICA and artifact rejection

Nicolas Robitaille nicolas.robitaille at UMONTREAL.CA
Tue May 27 17:48:32 CEST 2008

Dear Floris

I used ICA to remove noise from MEG signal. I can share my experience. If calculation time is an issue, I suggest to use FastICA instead of infomaxICA, which is the default. You need to download the toolbox yourself (http://www.cis.hut.fi/projects/ica/fastica/), but Fieldtrip take charge of it afterward, it's a new option in componentanalysis. For both infomaxICA and FastICA you can specify to the routine a specific numbers of components (like 100 instead of 275) to output, which should also reduce computing time. You can also select a subset of your data that contains all the artefacts you are interested to remove, run ICA on that, and apply the signal reconstruction without the artefactual-component to the entire dataset.

For artefactual-component identifications, I suggest to look simultaneously at the topography and the time-course of the components. My position is that we do not absolutely need robust objective criteria for artefactual-component identification, unless we want a fully automatize process (that I would not trust for now). Furthermore, it's always a good idea to look at the raw data you have, prior to any signal processing. The EOG and ECG components are obvious, you will pick them easily. Just find a time-window of raw data that shows these artefacts, and look at the time-course of the components. I suppose this would be the same for muscle-related artefact.

Others artefacts are more complex for ICA. I would remove segments with jumps and head movements. Breathing artefacts tended, in my MEG data, to spread across severals components, so it was tedious to identify them. You may also consider if the time requiered to spare a noizy subject is worth, comparing to the time (and cost) to test another one.

Hope this help,

Nicolas