clusteranalysis inter-trial phase-locking

Eric Maris maris at NICI.RU.NL
Tue Mar 4 17:59:49 CET 2008

Hi Stephan,

> I would like to use clusterrandanalysis to test significant differences of
> inter-trial phase-locking values between conditions, within subjects.
> I think clusterrandanalysis, with the 'indepsamplesZcoh' configuration
needs
> cross- and autospectra as input, to test between channel coherence
differenes.
> I was wondering if there is a way to use this function to compute
> inter-trial phase locking differences.

I guess you want to compare the PLF/coherence values between experimental
conditions. (PLF/coherence itself is calculated OVER trials, as correctly
show in your code snippet below.)

> PS: I compute phase-locking with output='Fourier' and keeptrials='yes', in
> freqanalysis. then:
> frq.plv = squeeze(abs(mean(frq.fourierspctrm./abs(frq.fourierspctrm),1)));
> I hope this is ok?

Yes, this is OK. However, you can improve by using spectral smoothing,
preferably using multitapers. When you have a small number of very long
trials this will make a big difference. Have a look in our paper (Maris,
Schoffelen, Fries, 2007) in the Journal of Neuroscience Methods.

> would it be legitimate to change clusteranalysis to accept fouriersptrm as
> input and introduce the phase-locking calculation step for every random
> partition? then compute the z-statistics in clusterstatistics with those
values?

I will not change clusterrandanalysis to accept fourierspctrm data. However,
I may change freqstatistics (one of the successors of clusterrandanalysis)
to accept fourierspctrm data (and supporting multitapers). This could be in
the form of a small collaborative project. You can find me at
maris at nici.ru.nl.

Greetings,

Eric Maris

> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users of the
FieldTrip