Significance test frequency power decrease baseline vs stimulation

Nathan Weisz nathanweisz at MAC.COM
Thu Jun 26 08:45:06 CEST 2008

hi,

you want individual subject stats? i'm pretty sure then that you need
to add something like
cfg.keeptrials='yes';
when doing your freqanalysis.

btw, adding the actual error message is also a good idea when posting
questions.

good luck,

On 26.06.2008, at 00:09, Thomas Dijkman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For my bachelor's assignment, I'm trying to find a visual stimulus
> of a hand
> movement that triggers the 'largest' modulation of the EEG. I.e. ,
> when the
> subject looks at a right hand movement, literature suggest a
> decrease in
> power in the 8-13 Hz band, relative to a baseline period around
> electrode
> position C3.
> I'm trying to use Fieldtrip's freqstatistics.m function to test this
> decrease in power for significance. Following a tutorial in the
> Fieldtrip wiki,
> http://www2.ru.nl/fcdonders/fieldtrip/doku.php?id=fieldtrip:documentation:tutorial:statistics&s=freqstatistics#3.2_permutation_tests_for_time-frequency_representationswithin_trial_experiments
>
> which I thought applied to my situation gave me a lot of error
> messages.
>
> I've already redefined my trials, so I have a separate set of
> trials, one
> containing 2 seconds of baseline, and one containing 2 seconds of
> stimulus.
> The baseline time axis is shifted so it overlaps the stimulus time
> axis
>
> I then use this code to calculate TFR's for those datasets:
>
> cfgfreq.method = 'mtmconvol';
> cfgfreq.output = 'pow' ;
> cfgfreq.taper = ' hanning' ;
> cfgfreq.foi = 8:1:13;
> cfgfreq.t_ftimwin = 10./cfgfreq.foi;
> cfgfreq.toi = 5:1/100:7;
> cfgfreq.tapsmofrq = cfgfreq.foi*0.4;
> [baselineTFR] = freqanalysis(cfgfreq,baselinedata);
> [stimulusTFR] = freqanalysis(cfgfreq,stimulusdata);
>
> And then I have to do the significance test.
>
> cfg = [];
> sfg.method = 'analytic';
> cfg.statistics = 'actvsblT';
> cfg.alpha = 0.05;
> ?
> [stat] = freqstatistics(cfg,stimulusTFR,baselineTFR);
>
> I think I have to do something with the design matrix, but I can't
> find
> anything about that in the wiki (or the rest of the internet).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas
>
> ----------------------------------
> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users
> of the FieldTrip  toolbox, to share experiences and to discuss new
> ideas for MEG and EEG analysis. See also http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/fieldtrip.html
>  and http://www.ru.nl/fcdonders/fieldtrip.

--------------------------------
Dr. Nathan Weisz

INSERM - Unité 821
Dynamique cérébrale et cognition
Centre Hospitalier Le Vinatier, Bâtiment 452
95 Boulevard Pinel
69500 Bron, France

Tel: ++33 - (0)4 - 7213 8915
Email: nathan.weisz at inserm.fr