CMCorig data, Coherence Tutorial

jan-mathijs schoffelen j.schoffelen at PSY.GLA.AC.UK
Mon Jun 23 15:46:08 CEST 2008

Dear Nathan,

Indeed, the flipping as applied in the tutorial should be applied for
volumes, segmented from .mri files. This has an obscure reason, which
I never managed to find. Importantly, the flipping has to be applied
in order for the transformation-matrix, as stored in mri.transform
(or segment.transform), to correctly transform from volume-based
voxel indices into head-space.
Did you check, whether the segmentation itself worked? In other
words, do the gray/white/csf volumes look reasonable with respect to
the anatomy from which it is derived?
As far as I know, the spm segmentation routine which is used by
fieldtrip, matches the input anatomy to some gray/white/csf template
volumes, but assumes a quite good coregistration between the
templates and the input volume, both in terms of coordinate-frame
(which should be spm-based), and in the way the volumetric data are
stored physically in the data-matrix. These issues are taken care of
when volumesegment is instructed to interpret the coordinate-system
as being 'ctf'-based, either by some user-interactions prompted when
the function is executed, or by explicitly putting cfg.coordinates to
'ctf'.
You mention you convert your dicoms to analyze format, but this step
in itself does not tell fieldtrip how to interpret the volumetric
data. Does the image have a transformation matrix attached when
loaded in? If not, you should probably first need to use
volumerealign to specify the fiducial locations. This will give you a
transformation matrix attached to the mri according to ctf-conventions.
Next volumesegment should be called with cfg.coordinates = 'ctf'.

Hope this helps,

Jan-Mathijs

>>> for MEG and EEG analysis. See also http://listserv.surfnet.nl/