Beamformer of correlated sources

Cristiano Micheli michelic72 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 15 15:08:29 CEST 2008

About your last email:

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:30:38 +0200, jan-mathijs schoffelen
<j.schoffelen at PSY.GLA.AC.UK> wrote:

>Dear Cristiano,
>
>Nice simulation in figure 1!
>The way you did the second simulation is just the 'traditional' DICS,
>giving you a huge mountain of coherence around the reference location.
>This will drown any other true cortico-cortical coherence to the
>right hemisphere dipole. (Note that a double dipole approach will not
>be of too
>much help here, if you do a ccc-analysis with respect to your
>reference: this is an important point in the paper you refer to. The
>double dipole approach
>will hopefully be able to unveil low coherence of the second dipole
>to the reference, which is masked by the high power + high coherence
>(one of these,
>or perhaps both) in the reference dipole.)
>
>As such, the double dipole approach is not yet implemented in a
>straightforward way in the release-version of fieldtrip, but I will
>be happy to give you some handles:
>
>I would suggest to include the leadfield of the reference location in
>the grid with precomputed leadfields which will be passed in the
>configuration to sourceanalysis.
>You have to concatenate the dipole-location specific leadfields with
>the reference dipole's leadfield. This will give you leadfields of
>dimensionality Nx6 (or Nx2 if you
>have a reason to assume a fixed orientation).
>Subsequently you can run sourceanalysis with cfg.keepfilter = 'yes'
>and without cfg.refdip, to extract the filter coefficients. These
>will have the dimensionality 6xN for each
>double dipole, the first 3 rows corresponding to the location
>specific location, and the last 3 rows corresponding to the reference
>dipole.

I  created a file named  'my_prepare_leadfield.m' and i concatenated the
lead field as written (line 235):

%   grid.leadfield{dipindx} = lf; %old
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% new
lf2 = compute_leadfield([0 5 10], sens, vol, 'reducerank', cfg.reducerank,
'normalize', cfg.normalize,'normalizeparam',cfg.normalizeparam);
grid.leadfield{dipindx} = [lf lf2];
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% new

Then I run the DICS with the following settings as you adviced:

cfg           = [];
cfg.grid      = grid_;
cfg.method    = 'dics';
cfg.projectnoise = 'yes';
cfg.reducerank = 2;
cfg.lambda    = 0;
cfg.refchan   = refch;
cfg.frequency = 20;
cfg.hdmfile   = 'mymodel.hdm';
cfg.keepfilter= 'yes';
sourcecond    = sourceanalysis(cfg, freqcond);

>To then compute your 'dipole pair and reference channel'-based cross-
>spectral density you have to sandwich the sensor-level cross-spectral
>density (take care to have
>the channel-order identical to the channel order in the filters)
>between the augmented filters. You can augment the filters to
>accommodate for the reference channel in
>the following way: [filter zeros(size(filter,1),1);zeros(1,size
>(filter,2)) 1]; (make sure to put the reference channel last in the
>channel csd.

Before doing it I think I will have to include Cf and Cr and Pr in the same
matrix, but i am not sure.
Namely: csd = filter * Cf_ * ctranspose(filter)
with filt of dimensions 6X(N+1) channels after augmenting, and Cf_ made of
the contributions of MEG channel-channels cross-variance plus the
contribution of MEG-EMG channels crossvariance Cr (column vector):

Cf_ = [Cf,Cr;Cr' Pr];

> From each sandwiched csd (7x7) you should be able to extract
>anything you want. The top-left 6x6 block will contain the between
>dipole csd (diagonal 3x3 blocks contain
>the within dipole parameters from which power can be estimated: the
>off-diagonal blocks contain the between dipole csd). The bottom right
>value will contain the reference
>signal power, and the 6x1 and 1x6 remaining vectors contain the
>reference to dipole csds, in two groups of 3. The coherence can be
>estimated (according to Joachim's 2001
>PNAS-paper) in this case by: svd( csd(1:3,7))./ sqrt(svd(csd(1:3,1:3))
>*csd(7,7));
>
>Good luck,
>
>Jan-Mathijs

This makes sense to me, considering also the literature (Dalal et al. 2006,
Brookes et al. 2007), but I weight equally the contributions of two
correlated dipoles, which can also have different amplitudes.
This is why maybe my simulations are not able to attenuate the main dipole?
Best

Cristiano