balancing for nuisance effects in cluster-randomization stats

Eric Maris maris at NICI.RU.NL
Tue Oct 30 22:15:02 CET 2007

Hi Michael,

I think your question is about experimental design (i.c., control for
confounding variables) and not about statistics. That being said, you could
consider the following:

1. Use a Go-NoGo paradigm and instruct the subject to give the same response
(e.g., NoGo) to the stimulus conditions that you want to compare.
2. Use a blocked Go-NoGo paradigm in which you reverse the stimulus-response
associations between blocks (A-Go and B-NoGo in block 1, B-Go and A-NoGo in
block 2).

Good luck,

Eric Maris

Behalf Of
> Michael Wibral
> Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:30 PM
> To: FIELDTRIP at NIC.SURFNET.NL
> Subject: [FIELDTRIP] balancing for nuisance effects in
cluster-randomization stats

> Dear Eric, dear Fieldtrippers,
>
> I have a questions regading the control of certain effects that are
usually
> controlled by balancing over subjects in old fashioned analyses:
> Imagine subjects see stimuli A and B and have to respond with the buttons
> (for seeing A) and D (for seeing B). Of course, one could then not
> distinguish between perceptual effects (response to A,B) and motor effcts
> (pressing C,D).
> Usually one would now balance the button presses over subjects such that
one
> (random) half of the subjects gets the inverted instruction (press D when
> seeing A and press C when seeing B). For an experiment with , say, six
> subjects one would get then the following set of correct 'trials':
> set1:
> {1-AC, 2-AC, 3-AC, 4-AD, 5-AD, 6-AD}
> set2:
> {1-BD, 2-BD, 3-BD, 4-BC, 5-BC, 6-BC}
>
> If one now tries to check parametrically whether there is an A versus B
> effect this should work given the balancing has worked.
> In permutation testing using dependend samples the following happens: One
of
> the permutations will be (last three subjects with exchanged conditions):
> permutation set1:
> {1-AC, 2-AC, 3-AC, 4-BC, 5-BC, 6-BC}
> permutation set2:
> {1-BD, 2-BD, 3-BD, 4-AD, 5-AD, 6-AD}
>
> Hence one will get the full C versus D effect in this permutation sample
and
> similar ones in all permutations that are not too far away from it. If the
> versus D effect is a large one (as e.g. button presses tend to be) this
will
> definitely dominate the extreme ends of the cluster-t distribution,
killing
> any chance of detecting an A versus B effect. (I assume that
> clusterrandomisation also shouldn't work in this case because the
> prerequsite of exchangeability is violated even when the A/B null
hypothesis
> was true.)
>
> Hence, my question how to design an experiment to control for the
> omnipresent button presses (or motor readiness potentials if one chooses a
> delayed response paradigm)?
>
> Any ideas appreciated,
> Michael Wibral

> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users of the
FieldTrip