comparing groups of different sizes

Eric Maris maris at NICI.RU.NL
Wed Nov 21 10:48:55 CET 2007

Hi Andrew,

> I would like to compare a clinical group with a control group in one
condition using

> the cluster-

> based permuation test to see if there are significant differences between
the groups.

> I tried the following design matrix acting as if the control and clinical
group were

> two conditions,

> but get the error that the matrix is improperly specified:

> adhd=5;

> control=6;

> design=zeros(2,adhd+control);

> for i=1:adhd

>     design(1,i)=i;

> end

> for i=1:control

>     design(1,adhd+i)=i;

> end

Try this:

for i=1:control

    design(1,adhd+i)=i+adhd;

end

Or, even simpler:

design(1,:)=[1:(adhd+control)];

Good luck,

Eric Maris

dr. Eric Maris

NICI/Biological Psychology and

F.C. Donders Center for Cognitive NeuroImaging

University of Nijmegen

P.O. Box 9104

6500 HE Nijmegen

The Netherlands

T:+31 24 3612651 (NICI)

T:+31 24 3610754 (FCDC)

F:+31 24 3616066 (NICI)

E: maris at nici.ru.nl

MSc Cognitive Neuroscience : <http://www.ru.nl/master/cns/>
www.ru.nl/master/cns/

> design(2,1:adhd)=1;

> design(2,adhd+1:2*adhd+1) = 2;

> cfg.design   = design;

> cfg.uvar  = 1;

> cfg.ivar  = 2;

> [stat_controlvsadhd] = timelockstatistics(cfg,

> grandavgadhdnoise,grandavgcontrolnoise);

> Do you have any suggestions?

> Thank you

> Andrew

> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users of the
FieldTrip

> toolbox, to share experiences and to discuss new ideas for MEG and EEG
analysis.