source coherence in one condition

Eric Maris maris at NICI.RU.NL
Tue May 8 13:30:28 CEST 2007

Dear Andrew,

> Thank you very much for the code and the answers. It helps to clarify
things alot.
> My understanding of coherence was that if the phase difference between two
signals
> is confined to within 2pi over some time interval, they are phase locked,
ie the
> temporal variations in the signals tend to follow each other. But that
this is
> regardless of their differences in amplitudes. When amplitude also
covaries then
> there is 'true' coherence. I thought that you could test for signifant
coherence
> between two signals.

I would forget about the influence of amplitude covariation on coherence (on
top of phase consistency). This is a side-issue for the problem that you are
addressing (testing for significant coherence in a single condition).

> For example in BESA you can do permutation tests on individual subjects
for
> 'significant' coherence between a reference dipole and the rest of the
dipoles in a
> model in one condition. I might be misunderstanding something though
becuase I
> was wondering if one could do this on a group level by importing the
coherence data
> from BESA into fieldtrip. I suppose this would be coherence relative to
some
> baseline, but I am not sure if that makes any sense. I don't know exactly
how BESA
> calculates coherence.
>
> So I guess H0 would be that there is no coherence between two dipoles that
is not
> due to chance in a particular condition - is that a possible null
hypothesis for
> coherence?

In my opinion, it does not make sense to test the null hypothesis that
coherence between two EEG/MEG-channels is equal to zero. The reason for this
is biophysical: due to volume conduction, the activity produced by a given
source will be picked up by all EEG/MEG-channels, and therefore it does not
make sense to test the null hypothesis that coherence is zero.

Testing coherence relative to baseline certainly makes sense, and is
possible in Fieldtrip, although it is not documented very well. (I remember
a work-around posted by Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen for testing coherence
differences in within-subjects designs.) However, you should keep in mind
that significant coherence-differences can also be produced by differences
in power. This is because coherence not only measures the phase consistency
between the signals at the source level but also the signal-to-noise ratio
(SNR) at the different sensors: For a fixed source-level phase consistency,
the larger the SNR, the larger the coherence.

Greetings,

dr. Eric Maris
NICI/Biological Psychology and
F.C. Donders Center for Cognitive NeuroImaging
University of Nijmegen
P.O. Box 9104
6500 HE Nijmegen
The Netherlands