cross spectral density issues

Mon Mar 19 21:58:57 CET 2007

Hi Sameer,

On 19 Mar 2007, at 14:26, Sameer Walawalkar wrote:
> When I do
>
> cfgCSD            = [];
> cfgCSD.output     = 'powandcsd';
> cfgCSD.method     =  'mtmfft';
> cfgCSD.foilim     = [5 100];
> cfgCSD.tapsmofrq  = 5;
> cfgCSD.keeptrials = 'yes';
> cfgCSD.channel    = {'MEG'} ;
> cfgCSD.channelcmb = {'MEG' 'MEG'};
> freqCSD_RR_One    = freqanalysis(cfgCSD,dataRR_One);
>
> I get the following error.
>
> ??? Error using ==> unknown
> Maximum variable size allowed by the program is exceeded.
>
> Error in ==> freqanalysis_mtmfft at 342
>     if csdflg, crsspctrm     = complex(zeros
> (numper,numsgncmb,numboi)); end

How large is the matrix that you are trying to allocate? I.e. how
large is Ntrials times (Nchans^2)/2 times the number of frequency
bins? The number of frequency bins depends on the data, specifically
on the length of your trials. For 1-sec trials, you have one
frequency bin per Herz, for 2-sec trials you have two, etc.

The total amount of memory is the number of elements in the matrix
times 16 bytes (since each matrix element has a double precision real
and imaginary number).

> Error in ==> freqanalysis at 167
> [freq] = feval(sprintf('freqanalysis_%s',lower(cfg.method)), cfg,
> data);
>

> But I remember using something very close to this some ten days
> ago. So I am not sure what I might be doing wrong. Any suggestions
> are very welcome.

You may have used fewer frequency bins (cfg.foilim) or the data may
have had fewer trials.

> I tried using method 'mtmwelch' but that gave a host of other
> errors including looking for cfg.foi instead of cfg.foilim (non
> uniformity in application).

Please look at the documentation in FREQANALYSIS_MTMWELCH. I suspect
that the mtmwelch method will require even more memory.

Are you sure with the amount of data that you have that you want to
keep trials?

Robert