nonparamteric statistical tests for coherence differences

Sameer Walawalkar sameer at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Wed Jun 20 22:50:33 CEST 2007

Dear Eric,

I was trying to adapt the online tutorial for doing statistical
non-parametric tests for coherence differences.

After using freqstatistcs along the lines spelt out in the tutorial, when
in order to generate topoplots, I use the following command:

TFR_LLvsRR_050_500_cmb = TFR_LL_050_500_cmb ;
TFR_LLvsRR_050_500_cmb.powspctrm = TFR_LL_050_500_cmb.powspctrm -
 					TFR_RR_050_500_cmb.powspctrm ;

  I get the following Matlab error:
??? Error using ==> minus
Array dimensions must match for binary array op.

Clearly this is because I have unequal number of trials for the between
trials case.
As shown by the following.
>>size(TFR_RR_050_500_cmb.powspctrm)
ans = 129   204     7    10
>> size(TFR_LL_050_500_cmb.powspctrm)
ans = 128   204     7    10

And;
>> TFR_LL_050_500_cmb
TFR_LL_050_500_cmb =

         label: {204x1 cell}
        dimord: 'rpt_chan_freq_time'
          freq: [8 9 10 11 12 13 14]
          time: [0.0500 0.1000 0.1500 0.2000 0.2500 0.3000 0.3500 0.4000
0.4500
                      0.5000]
     powspctrm: [4-D double]
     cumtapcnt: [128x7 double]
           cfg: [1x1 struct]
          grad: [1x1 struct]

Now, from my understanding, the non-parametric statistical testing itself
doesnt require equal trials (and the fact that freqstatistics worked
shows that part is o.k.). So there must be a way to plot the results
bypassing the error. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help.

Best,
sameer