PC for Fieldtrip, yours experience

Christian Hesse c.hesse at FCDONDERS.RU.NL
Tue Jul 3 11:41:55 CEST 2007

Dear Olga,

this is, in a way, a difficult question to answer. You obviously want
a machine with lots of memory and a fast processor (possibly several)!

Here at the FCDC we have a couple of 64 bit Linux machines  with 16
Gb RAM, 220 Gb HD and 4 CPUs (Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 270)

And the majority of nodes in the cluster are 64 bit Linux machines
with 4 Gb RAM,  220 Gb HD and 2 CPUs (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @
2.40GHz)

It all depends on what (else) you want to do on the machine while it
is Fieldtriping, how large your data sets are and how memory
efficient your Matlab scripts are (i.e. not trying to have the data
from 10 subjects in memory at the same time while doing coherence
analysis with 300 channels :-)

Hope this gives some indication
Christian

On 2 Jul 2007, at 16:22, Olga Sysoeva wrote:

> Dear Fieldtrippers,
>
> sorry for annoying with the same question, but can you just
> specified your own PC, which you use for analysing. We wish to
> speed up our analysis.
>
> Best Regards.
> Olga.

> Dear all,
>
> It is probably a dull question, but can you specified the "good" PC
> Computer for analysing 64-channel data in Fieldtrip.
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users
> of the FieldTrip toolbox, to share experiences and to discuss new
> ideas for MEG and EEG analysis.
>
> http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/fieldtrip.html
>
> http://www.ru.nl/fcdonders/fieldtrip/

Christian Hesse, PhD, MIEEE

F.C. Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
P.O. Box 9101
NL-6500 HB Nijmegen
The Netherlands

Tel.: +31 (0)24 36 68293