Estimating the power in EEG frequency bands

Thomas Thesen thomas at UCSD.EDU
Thu Feb 22 15:39:43 CET 2007

Hi FieldTrippers,

Following up on this conversation. It seems that the 'induced activity'
contains both phase-locked and non-phase-locked activity, whereby the
'evoked' activity contains only phase-locked activity. Is it then kosher to
separate these components by linear subtraction? For example, if we first
compute the 'induced' activity by averaging power over individual trials,
and from that subtract the 'evoked activity' (calculated based on average
response) to get the induced activity without any phase-locked activity?

So if

Induced = Phase + Non-Phase

And

Evoked = Phase

Then

Non-Phase = Induced - Evoked

Or does the fact that this is a linear operations on data that have been
constructed through a non-linear process render this somehow invalid? It has
certainly been done before. Your comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Thomas

  _____