ICA based artifact correction and phase-locking

Markus Werkle-Bergner werkle at MPIB-BERLIN.MPG.DE
Mon Feb 26 11:49:18 CET 2007

Hi Christian, hi Stefan,

I thank both of you for your helpful comments. I now know better about
the possible problems, but I also see that it may be worth a try. I will
keep you posted about the progress via the discussion list as soon as
new problems arise ;-)

Thank you and best regards,
Markus

Christian Hesse schrieb:
> Hi Markus,
>
>>> Why do you remove these epochs? Do the signals saturate or is there
>>> excessive electrode(-cap) or subject movement in these?
>>>
>> Yes, that's correct. I remove epochs before any further analysis, if
>> I find saturated channels or excessive subject movements.
>
> Seems reasonable to me, then.
>

>>> How many EEG channels do you have, by the way? I need to know in
>>> order to continue with the 'slightly longer answer'
>>
>> I recorded my data from 60 Ag/Ag-Cl electrodes embedded in an elastic
>> cap (with BrainAmp amplifiers) positioned according to the extended
>> 10/20 system. Additionally, I record EOG with two electrodes placed
>> at the outher canthi and one electrode placed below the left eye. All
>> channels are referenced to the right mastoid during recording, while
>> the left mastoid electrode is recorded as an additional active
>> channel (off-line re-refrenced to the mean of both mastoids).
>
> Ok, thanks for this extra info. 60 channels is (I think) a good number
> in that you are less likely to be affected by the problem of
> over-fitting in ICA: this can sometimes happen when there are fewer
> source signals which are identifiable by the ICA algorithm (i.e.,
> statistically independent signals with non-gaussian marginal
> distributions) than sensors. Note that fewer sources than sensors does
> not necessarily mean that your data is rank-deficient (you can easily
> check this by looking at the singular spectrum of your data matrix or,
> equivalently, at the spectrum of eigenvalues of the data covariance
> matrix - the former is gives the square root of the latter) because
> there is always some form of either "sensor" or "ambient" noise, which
> will have a gaussian distribution. The point is that when ICA has
> found all the obvious components (non-gaussian ones) it then tries to
> decompose the gaussian part of the signal into non-gaussian parts, and
> this will lead to so-called "over-fitting", which also affects the
> accuracy of the estimates of the "true" components. Different ICA
> algorithms behave differently in this case, some will give you
> spurious solutions, others will simply not converge to a solution
> (because there is none in the ICA sense, and throw an error of the
> code is smart enough to spot this). But you should not really have to
> worry too much about that; although do watch out for it: warnings and
> error messages about mixing or de-mixing matrix being (close to)
> singular is a good indication of over-fitting, and PCA-based dimension
> reduction of your data as part of the ICA is then recommended (though
> not a "magic" solution, either).
>
> When there are fewer channels than sources, you can have the opposite
> problem, namely under-fitting. In this situation, there are not enough
> components to describe all of the data, and the solution is then
> likely to be some sort of compromise, where "true" sources that are
> "weak" are spread over several ICs, none of which individually
> [...]

Markus Werkle-Bergner, Dipl. Psych.
Predoctoral Research Fellow

Center for Lifespan Psychology
Max Planck Institute for Human Development
Lentzeallee 94, Room 211, D-14195 Berlin, Germany.
Phone: +49(0)30-82406-447       Fax: +49(0)30-8249939