ICA based artifact correction and phase-locking

Christian Hesse c.hesse at FCDONDERS.RU.NL
Fri Feb 23 14:11:41 CET 2007

Hi Markus,

> Because I expected some changes (i.e., I assumed to get rid of some
> artifactual muscle activity),  now I can not judge whether these
> results are 'good' or 'bad'. Therefore, I would be interested in
> the 'slightly longer answer'.

When applying ICA to "real" data (i.e. where we do not really know
everything about how the observed data are really generated) it is
actually impossible to tell "objectively" whether removing components
and then reconstructing the signal leads to "good" or "bad" results -
it is basically a judgement call. Alternatively, you could use
indirect arguments, e.g. related to improved ability to discriminate
between two different conditions or something like that. The only way
you can tell whether you successfully removed components from data is
using synthetic data where you have a "ground truth".

(Philosophical / Methodological Aside: the same arguments apply to
ANY mathematical or statistical method which involves numerical
estimation of some model (always based on some assumptions) from
data. Believe it or not, this would include nummerical integration
techniques. The best you can ever do with numerical techniques is to
understand their applicability criteria recognize their behaviour
when these are criteria are not met. In the case of "real" data you
must judge whether the data to satisfy the applicability criteria
(big judgement), then brace yourself and jump ... that's as good as
it ever gets, I am afraid :-)

> Furthermore, currently I do the ICA decomposition on all available
> segments (minus those with really excessive artifacts, which I took
> out before running ICA).

Why do you remove these epochs? Do the signals saturate or is there
excessive electrode(-cap) or subject movement in these?

> This means, my trials are a mixture of clearly contaminated as well
> as clearly uncontaminated trials. Because my main goal is to
> identify the eye and muscle artifacts, would it improve the
> detection of components reflecting artifacts if I do the ICA
> decomposition only on pre-identified artifactual trials? (My idea
> is that then the components reflecting artifacts would catch less
> 'true' brain activity. But perhaps I have a missconception here ...)

The accuracy of the ICA decomposition relies fundamentally on the
accuracy of the mixing matrix estimate A from which you form the de-
mixing matrix (or vice versa). So if only some columns of A (e.g.
artifact source sensor projections) are accurately estimated while
the sensor projection estimates of brain activity are inaccurate
(individually or as a subspace), then the de-mixing the data using W
= inv(A) will not be fully successful in removing artifact activity
from components reflecting the brain activity (subspace). In order to
accurately estimate the sensor projections of ALL sources, the data
needs to comprise example activity from ALL sources, i.e. BOTH
artifact activity and brain activity.

So since you need to estimate your brain activity (subspace) as
accurately as your artifact sources, you should use as much of the
data, i.e. contaminated and clean segments, as possible.

How many EEG channels do you have, by the way? I need to know in
order to continue with the 'slightly longer answer'

Regards,
Christian

Email: c.hesse at fcdonders.ru.nl
Web: www.fcdonders.ru.nl