binica in fieldtrip

Jan Mathijs Schoffelen Jan.Schoffelen at FCDONDERS.RU.NL
Mon Feb 12 08:47:43 CET 2007

Hi Sameer,

Everyone is greatly encouraged to implement new features into fieldtrip. As
a matter, that's the whole idea behind it.

I don't know what the sampling rate of your data is, but what might help to
reduce computation time, is to downsample the data before doing
componentanalysis, using resampledata. Typically, artifacts of interest have
a frequency < 100 Hz, so downsampling to 256 Hz doesn't hurt too much.

Yours again,

Jan-Mathijs

-----Original Message-----
From: FieldTrip discussion list [mailto:FIELDTRIP at NIC.SURFNET.NL] On Behalf
Of Sameer Walawalkar
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 11:28 PM
To: FIELDTRIP at NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: [FIELDTRIP] binica in fieldtrip

Hello,

I am running componentanalysis.m within fieldtrip to do ICA in order to
remove blinks etc. I tried using

cfg.method = 'fastICA'
cfg.trials = 1:100  (data has 306 channels)
  but got failure to converge on 19th ica and analysis was aborted.
Does anyone have any ideas about dealing with this?

I also tried
cfg.method = 'runica'
cfg.trials = 1:100

but it takes a very looooong time.

Any ways around it? I know that one can implement binica in EEGLAB. It is
supposed to be 12 xs faster and can use smaller memory.

Can I implement cfg.method = 'binica'? in fieldtrip?

thanks,
sameer