ICA based artifact correction and phase-locking

Markus Werkle-Bergner werkle at MPIB-BERLIN.MPG.DE
Fri Feb 23 13:39:31 CET 2007

Hi Christian,

thank you for your fast reply. Indeed, I had the same thought and tried
it out at least for the power-measures (the analysis for the PLI is
currently underway). The results look somewhat similar (i.e., I used the
original data from one subject (artifacts rejected according to the
semi-automatic procedure) and compared the results with the ICA-cleaned
data), although there are some changes: From my current view, I see the
same spots of increased TF-power (in gamma but also in lower frequency
ranges) in both analyses. However the main spots appear somewhat
deminished in the ICA-cleaned data. Additionally, for high gamma-power
(> 55 Hz), I recognize a power increase in the main spots.

Because I expected some changes (i.e., I assumed to get rid of some
artifactual muscle activity),  now I can not judge whether these results
are 'good' or 'bad'. Therefore, I would be interested in the 'slightly
longer answer'.

Furthermore, currently I do the ICA decomposition on all available
segments (minus those with really excessive artifacts, which I took out
before running ICA). This means, my trials are a mixture of clearly
contaminated as well as clearly uncontaminated trials. Because my main
goal is to identify the eye and muscle artifacts, would it improve the
detection of components reflecting artifacts if I do the ICA
decomposition only on pre-identified artifactual trials? (My idea is
that then the components reflecting artifacts would catch less 'true'
brain activity. But perhaps I have a missconception here ...)

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Markus