Question concerning statistics in fieldtrip

Eric Maris maris at NICI.RU.NL
Mon Feb 12 21:35:13 CET 2007

Dear Markus,

Good to hear that you like our statistics routines. However, I'm afraid that
I have to disappoint you a little bit now. Permutation test are not well
suited for testing interaction effects. This is because the null hypothesis
(i.e., additive effects) is a constraint on the expected values of your
dependent variable, observed in the different conditions. In contrast, the
null hypotheses that can be tested with a permutation test all have to be
phrased in terms of equality of probability distributions in the different
conditions.

The closest you can get with a permutation test, is testing the effect of
one independent variable (say SIZE) within the different levels of AGE.
Hopefully, you will get significant effects for some levels of AGE, but not
for others. This result would be a sort of nonparametric interaction.

Good luck,

Eric Maris

Behalf Of