multitapers and high gamma band activity

Pascal Fries Pascal.Fries at FCDONDERS.RU.NL
Tue Aug 21 22:16:39 CEST 2007

Hi Christine,

The parameters that you specified are OK and can be used.

In general, you should make sure that the cfg.foi contains integer multiples
of the Rayleigh frequency (1/cfg.t_ftimwin) and the spectral concentration
should also be small integer multiples of the Rayleigh frequencies, e.g.
between 3 and 11. Cfg.tapsmofrq specifies half the spectral concentration
and thus, your configuration gives a spectral concentration of 4 times the
Rayleigh frequency - approximately, because two tapers (with poor
concentration properties) are dismissed.

Thus: You're configuration is fully OK. But: I generally discourage to use
window lengths and spectral concentrations that change as a function of
frequency. Such an approach is often inspired by Wavelet analyses. But it
precludes any intepretation of a spectral pattern, because the analysis at
different frequencies is based on different data segments and different
degrees of freedom.

This is what we typically use for the gamma frequencies:

T_ftimwin of 0.25 s
-> Rayleigh frequency of 4 Hz
Spectral concentration (tapsmofrq) of plus/minus 12 Hz (up to 20 Hz).

All the best, Pascal

Pascal Fries
Principal Investigator
F.C. Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Kapittelweg 29, 6525 EN Nijmegen, Netherlands
E-mail:      pascal.fries at fcdonders.ru.nl
Website:    www.ru.nl/fcdonders/
Phone:       (+31) (0)24 36 10657
Fax:           (+31) (0)24 36 10989