dics method for coherence analysis

Rong, Feng (NIH/NIDCD) [V] rongf at NIDCD.NIH.GOV
Wed Apr 25 18:02:01 CEST 2007

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the comparison of coherence between virtual
channels with the dics method, following is my script:

cfg = [];

cfg.method='mtmfft';

cfg.ouput='powandcsd';

cfg.keeptrials='yes';

cfg.taper='dpss';

cfg.tapsmofrq=4;

cfg.foilim =[8 12];

cfg.sgncmb = channelcombination({'MEG','MEG'},bldata.label);

blfreq = freqanalysis(cfg,bldata);

clear bldata

cfg = [];

cfg.method='mtmfft';

cfg.ouput='powandcsd';

cfg.keeptrials='yes';

cfg.taper='dpss';

cfg.tapsmofrq=4;

cfg.foilim =[8 12];

cfg.sgncmb = channelcombination({'MEG','MEG'},eoidata.label);

eoifreq = freqanalysis(cfg,eoidata);

clear eoidata

load(datafile,'ldf');

cfg = [];

cfg.grid = source2sparse(ldf);  % Only consider gridpoints within head
volume

cfg.method = 'power';

cfg.refdip=refdip;

cfg.numrandomization = 100;

cfg.randomization = 'yes';

cfg.projectnoise = 'yes';

cfg.lambda = 0;

cfg.hdmfile = headmodel;

cfg.frequency = (foi(1)+foi(2))/2;

cfg.keepleadfield = 'no';

cfg.feedback = 'none';

[sourceRand] = sourceanalysis(cfg, eoifreq, blfreq);

cfg=[];

cfg.comparestat = 'relchange' ;

cfg.method = 'randomization' ;

cfg.parameter = 'coh'  ;

cfg.approach = 'parametric';

sourcestat = sourcestatistics(cfg,sourceRand);

In which bldata and eoidata are from the same dataset epoched with two
windows, ldf is the grid which has been computed based on the same
dataset. The purpose of this analysis is to compare the coherence
between the selected seed channel and other virtual channels within
alpha band between the two time windows.

I found in the output variable sourceRand subfield 'pow' and 'coh',
which one shall I use for statistical analysis? I assume it should be
'coh', then what does 'pow' stand for? Is it the psd with the target
frequency range for each virtual channel? Then will the 'pow' values be
different from the computation without specifying reference virtual
channel in the script?

Best,

Feng

The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users of the FieldTrip  toolbox, to share experiences and to discuss new ideas for MEG and EEG analysis.
  http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/fieldtrip.html
  http://www.ru.nl/fcdonders/fieldtrip/