problem partially solved

Jan Mathijs Schoffelen Jan.Schoffelen at FCDONDERS.RU.NL
Fri Apr 20 13:40:53 CEST 2007

Dear Andy,

It seems as if you already solved the problem for your purpose. Anyway,
instead of making a hack in one of the (deep) fieldtrip functions, I would
rather change the frequency structure a bit before passing it to
freqstatistics. Typically what I do, is the following. Please note that this
workaround is ugly, but at present that's a way how it works.

In order to keep track of how to interpret the different channels in the
data, fieldtrip uses the field 'label', for which it assumes that the number
of labels is equal to the first dimension (when 'dimord' =
'chan_freq...etc'), or to the second dimension (when 'dimord' =
'rpt_chan_etc') of your parameter of interest. However, when you are indeed
interested in coherence, it's the field 'cohspctrm' which is the relevant
field, and for this, fieldtrip looks into 'labelcmb' to interpret which
channels have been used to compute coherence. If you put labelcmb on the
place of label (which you did in prepare_timefreq_data), but it's a
dangerous solution, because 'labelcmb' contains two columns and I guess the
fieldtrip-function which checks the labels only looks in the first column.
This potentially leads to double occurrences of some labels (for example if
for one reason or another your 'reference' channel is in the first column,
or if you have more than one reference channel). Therefore, I'd suggest to
'convert' the labelcmb into uniquely identifiable labels, by for example
concatenating the two labels in the pair:

Newlabel = cell(size(freq.labelcmb,1),1);
for j = 1:size(freq.labelcmb,1)
  Newlabel{j} = [freq.labelcmb{j,1},'_',freq.labelcmb{j,2}];
end
freq.labelold = freq.label;
freq.label    = newlabel;

Hope this helps,