Estimating the power in EEG frequency bands

Suresh Muthukumaraswamy sdmuthu at CARDIFF.AC.UK
Thu Apr 19 10:10:14 CEST 2007

Hi Fieldtrippers,
    A late follow-up to this topic. I have recentrly been musing over how to
get a "clean" measure of the non-phase locked activity. I have tried
subtracting the ERF out prior to time-frequency computation but this
produces quite a bit of artifact...presumably since the single trial data
will have considerable ;atency "jitter"
   The comments from Christian below make sense ( I think) why simply
subtracting the two time-frequency power representaions is not valid. But I
wonder would this subtractive approach be valid if one worked with the
magnitude of the signal rather than power..omitting all the squaring operations?
  If this right theoretically, how to achieve this in Fieldtrip?. Would
setting cfg.output = 'fourier then abs'ing the output work. My suspicion is
no since the summing is being done first here. Alternatively, does one need
to hack the code to return the magnitude.

Thanks for your help on this and sorry for waking old threads :)

   - Suresh