freqanalysis_wltconvol.m

Brian Roach Brian.Roach at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 7 00:04:01 CEST 2006

Markus,

I appreciate this answer, but I would like to clarify some of your points
to be sure I have completely absorbed them.  Here is my example:
1000Hz sample rate for the acquired data
4000ms epochs centered on an event (-2000ms before the event to 1999 after
the event)

cfg =

     output: 'pow'
     method: 'wltconvol'
        foi: [1x60 double]
      width: 6
     gwidth: 3
        toi: [1x1000 double]

where foi is 1 to 60Hz (in 1Hz steps), and toi is -.5s to .5s (in 1ms steps)

I like that 1Hz is not plotted (NaN) values, since you cannot get 6 cycles
of 1Hz data in my 4s epoch size.  Having run this, I am still uncertain
about how gwidth influences the data.  Does a smaller gwidth just widen the
bell curve of the gaussian envelope?  Is there a trend, such as the higher
the gwidth, the better the time resolution (because the wavelet has a
sharper rise and fall time)?

In my case, does sf = 2Hz/6Hz or 1/3Hz?  I don't think I have these values
right, and since they influence temporal domain and spectral bandwidth, it
is important that I know what is right.  It seems like if my interpretation
of your e-mail is correct, then each frequency bin consists of that
frequency +/-.167 or (1/6) Hz.  In my example above, my 2Hz value would
then consist of data from 1.8333 to 2.1667Hz.  This would mean that there
are gaps in the spectral data and a smaller number of cycles or smaller
width would lead to larger bandwidth (i.e. decreasing frequency
resolution).  What do you think?

Also, does fieldtrip have a function that gives "phase locking factor" or
inter-trial coherence (ITC)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Brian