Signal2 format import

Vladimir Litvak litvak at TX.TECHNION.AC.IL
Wed Oct 4 20:21:39 CEST 2006

Thanks a lot. It works perfectly (at least from the first glance).

Best,

Vladimir

-----Original Message-----
From: FieldTrip discussion list [mailto:FIELDTRIP at NIC.SURFNET.NL] On Behalf
Of Robert Oostenveld
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 5:20 PM
To: FIELDTRIP at NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: Re: [FIELDTRIP] Signal2 format import

Hi Vladimir,

On 4 Oct 2006, at 15:15, Vladimir Litvak wrote:
> I am starting a new project and I'd like to import to FT data in
> Signal
> (a.k.a. Spike2) format (files with extension *.ced). There is a Matlab
> library that can read the files but I wonder whether anybody has
> implemented
> the conversion all the way to FT or at least close to it. Maybe
> Biosig can
> read it (I haven't tried yet)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gijs van Elswijk contributed code to FT for reading continuous
channels (are required to all have the same sampling rate) from a
system manufactured by "Cambridge Electronic Design" (CED), and the
documentation that I got specifies that the files are from the
'Spike2 SON filing system'. In the FT private/filetype function,
those are referred to as being type 'ced_son'.

However, those files are assumed to have the extension *.smr. I am
not sure whether those are the same files, but it sounds like it
could be related.

Gijs' code is basically the private/read_ced_son.m file, which uses
the Neuroshare library (see http://neuroshare.sourceforge.net). There
are matlab bindings to the Neuroshare library, i.e. system specific
mex files that you have to add to your Matlab path.

I hope this helps. If not, then I also know another library for
reading SON2 files. But then, I am not yet sure whether that really
corresponds to the dataformat that you now have.

Robert