freqanalysis_wltconvol.m question

Jan Mathijs Schoffelen Jan.Schoffelen at FCDONDERS.RU.NL
Tue Nov 21 08:02:00 CET 2006

Dear Brian et al,

  _____

From: Brian Roach [mailto:Brian.Roach at yale.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 11:56 PM
To: Jan Mathijs Schoffelen
Subject: Re: [FIELDTRIP] freqanalysis_wltconvol.m question

Hi, I could not get this posted to the list, and figured since you gave most
of the feedback, I would see what you think.

thanks,
Brian

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:09:00 -0500
To: FieldTrip discussion list <FIELDTRIP at NIC.SURFNET.NL>
From: Brian Roach <Brian.Roach at yale.edu>
Bcc: Daniel Mathalon <daniel.mathalon at yale.edu>

Thanks for the advice,  I am wondering if FT users would agree that this is
an acceptable way to estimate univariate phase coherence:

In freqanalysis_wltconvol.m, line 283:
                %         powdum = (2.* abs(autspctrmacttap)  ./
data.fsample) .^ 2;
                powdum = (2.*autspctrmacttap  ./ data.fsample);

1. I've commented out the power line and inserted basically the same thing
(but not squared)
2. As suggested, I change cfg.keeptrials = 'yes';
3. After running freqanalysis.m, in the command prompt:
        itc =
abs(mean(squeeze(freq.powspctrm)./abs(squeeze(freq.powspctrm)),1))

squeeze is used because freq.powspctrm is a 3 d matrix including sites,
times, and frequencies and in the above case I am just getting itc from 1
channel.  Does this method seem alright?  Regarding step #1 above, it seemed
to make no difference whether I left the 2.* in that equation or not, which
seems consistent with an earlier e-mail that mentioned this multiplication
being tied into power, so it does not influence phase angle.  Is that right?
Or, should it be taken out for my purposes?

thanks,
Brian

This looks fine to me. Indeed the factor of 2 does not affect the outcome,
because it falls out in the division (normalization) step.

Yours,

Jan-Mathijs

PS: you might have to think about whether or not to square the final itc, to
make it consistent with the way it is defined in the literature.