CRA on ERPs

Stefan Debener s.debener at UKE.UNI-HAMBURG.DE
Thu Nov 30 23:22:02 CET 2006

Dear Marco,

I have noticed the same phenomenon with other channel-wise statistics
(like sample-wise ttests) before. A nose-tip recorded ERP P3, for
instance, may show a significant condition effect (e.g. target vs
non-target) at parietal electrodes. This condition effect often is
"mirrored" to, and "shared" with, frontal sites after re-referencing the
data to the common average. At these formerly "inactive" frontal
electrodes, the time course and morphology of the  parietal P3 now shows
up, with the absolute amplitude being decreased and the polarity
reversed (due to re-referencing). As a result, if you look at the
spatial pattern of p values before/after re-referencing, a  previously
significant effect at parietal sites may now turn out to be
non-significant. Probably a good argument for doing statistical analysis
on the source level (which may come with other prolems).

Best,
Stefan