Statistical comparisons in virtual electrode spectrograms

Eric Maris maris at NICI.RU.NL
Wed Nov 8 16:54:58 CET 2006

Hi Piers,

> I would like to try: "a neighbourhood structure as a cell array (in your
> case, of length 1) of structs". But could you clarify a little more what
> the syntax would be for this cfg?

Type "Help clusterrandanalysis" on the Matlab command line.

> Re- the hypothesis tests, when I put the script together I hadn't really
> thought through the hypothesis testing carefully. I was just trying to
> get something to work at all.
>
> But you are quite right, it doesn't make sense to statistically compare
> E versus E+I
>
> However, I do want to apply a test, separately, for E baseline v E
> active, *and* E+I baseline versus E+I active.
>
> Might it make sense, do you think, to compare ([E+I]-E) baseline versus
> ([E+I]-E) active, to try to work out whether there is indeed any
> significant induced activity?

I think this makes sense. For activation-versus-baseline testing, you better
use the activation-versus-baseline t-statistic instead of the
dependent-samples t-statistic.

Greetings,

Eric

> Best regards
>
> Piers
> > Hi Piers,
> >

> > In my first reply to your email, I didn't notice that you were analyzing
> > virtual channels. In that case, the suggestion in my previous email will
not
> > work. As I see it now, you have only a single virtual channel. In other
> > words, you do not have a spatial dimension in your data. Nevertheless,
> > clusterrandanalysis wants a spatial neighbourhood structure. In the case
of
> > virtual channels, you have to construct this neighbourhood structure by
> > hand. Read the help info of clusterrandanalysis, and you will find out
how
> > to specify a neighbourhood structure as a cell array (in your case, of
> > length 1) of structs.
> >
> > I also read that you want to compare evoked and (evoked + induced) power
> > spectra. Are these power spectra calculated on the same raw data? If
this is
> > the case, does it make sense to test the null hypothesis that they come
from
> > the same probability distribution (which is what clusterrandanalysis
tests)?
> > This null hypothesis would imply that the pure induced power spectra are
> > zero. Do I see this correctly?
> >

> > Greetings,
> >
> > Eric

cfg.keepindividual