query on coherence source analysis

Tue May 23 12:33:24 CEST 2006

Dear Muthuraman

At the Donders we usually use the multitaper method for computing the
cross spectral density, in freqanalysis that is cfg.method='mtmfft'
or 'mtmconvol'. If you would use the mtmconvol method, you will get a
frequency decomposition for multiple sliding time windows (that can
be overlapping or not). If you then would average these frequency
decompositions over time, you have performed Welch's method. We
already implemented that in a function, see attached
freqanalysis_mtmwelch (i.e. it even allows you to combine
multitapering and Welch). Add it to your fieldtrip directory and
specify cfg.method='mtmwelch' for freqanalysis.

This new function is still rather poorly documented, and it does not
have default settings for most of the cfg options. Probably you will
want cfg.taper=hanning (i.e. no multitapering), in which case you do
not have to specify cfg.tapsmofrq. The function will use maximally
overlapping windows for Welch method (which takes a lot of memory).
You should specify the frequencies of interest (cfg.foi) and window
length per frequency (cfg.t_ftimwin).

best
Robert